Monday, October 26, 2009

Spoiled by Second Life?

I'm very aware of the fact that patience is not a quality I possess. This was a problem in my first few minutes in Heritage Key. I had specific places I wanted to go, like the Nile River and became frustrated when I couldn't get there right away. While trying to find my way, I checked out the different layers of King Tut's sarcophagus. I enjoyed seeing the differences between each layer and the audio was very informative. However, in attempts to sit in front of one layer in order to take a picture, I ended up in some virtual space that had nothing to do with King Tut (pictured below). I'm not sure where I was or why I couldn't fly out of the area, but I do know that I had to teleport home and begin my journey once again. My ride on the hot air balloon may seem like it would be relaxing, but I would have much rather simply teleported to the location I was headed.

heritage key2

Despite my initial frustration, I finally found a place I could choose where I teleported. I'm glad I found this before I gave up on finding the Nile River. Once at the Nile I flew around looking at the different animals. Hippos, ostriches, and alligators all sat around in the area added to the river setting by making it seem more real. The plant life also captured nature in a way that I have not yet experienced in a virtual world. After exploring the area I went in a building and was able to change my clothing into Egyptian looking clothes which put me more into character and made my trip that much more enjoyable. Once I get more familiar with Heritage Key I'm hoping it will become easier to maneuver and I will be able to enjoy the cites and information more than in my initial experience.

heritage key

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad you were able to find the Nile River. It's also good that you didn't give up and kept going through the exhibit.
    These things, in my opinion, would make your post really good:
    1. A picture from your experience(if you have one)

    ReplyDelete