Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Writing Experience

When I was a high school student I was a full believer in what Hjortshoj calls the "footstool essay" (107). I could crank out a five paragraph essay in no time and was under the impression that it was good writing. I was taught to "say what you are going to say, say it, and say you've said it" (110) just as Hjortshoj describes in The Transition to College Writing. This was a simple way to write a well organized essay even though it had little depth. I even somehow managed to write my longer term papers in this same manner but with much longer paragraphs and still receive a respectable grade.

I realize now that this is not a way I can continue to write if I intend on receiving good grades at The University of Richmond. Professors might get a good chuckle out of my standard five paragraph essay, but the goal of my writing is not to evoke laughter. I am going to need to add much more flow to my writing to prevent it from being too rigid and awkward. I also now know that adding a metaphor to my writing can help. I have not yet actually had to write an essay yet, but when I do I'm hoping to keep my bad habits hidden to the best of my ability. As Hjortshoj says, I need to make my essays more like "furniture" instead of just "footstools" (112).

1 comment:

  1. The Ansel Adams piece begins a more formal movement toward an academic essay governed by one claim. And who knows how many paragraphs you will need, if, like Caroline R in our class, you will need to write a 3000 word paper in Core 102?

    ReplyDelete