Monday, September 14, 2009

My Avatar: Alyxx Alecto

I have to admit I like having an avatar more than I expected I would. The more I get used to the ways to move and do simple things, the more fun it becomes. It doesn’t seem weird to me that a virtual form of myself exists because I’ve played the computer game The Sims a lot before. I realize Second Life involves interacting with real people, unlike the Sims where you play with just yourself and the computer, but it still seems very similar. Creating the people in the Sims was one of my favorite parts that I also enjoy in Second Life while creating my avatar.

When I created my Avatar I had to change the clothes right away so I would look more unique. I choose to wear jeans and a t-shirt because if I could wear anything in real life, that’s what I would wear. I also had to change my hair. I’ve always wanted to have really blonde hair so I thought I’d live that dream vicariously through my avatar.

I discovered another way to live vicariously when I picked my name. I love names with the letter “x” in them (Alyxx). At first I was just going to spell it normally, but that name was taken. Now I’m glad that the name has a weird spelling so it’s not so ordinary. I’m hoping this and the other changes I've made will allow my Avatar to live a not so ordinary life in Second Life.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,

    I have never made Sims, and you imply that in the Sims you do not interact with real people. Make the implicit, explicit there.

    --Caroline

    ReplyDelete